It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:21 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:41 pm 

After reading up on how to adjust/check valve clearances on my 2008 DR650se, this is how I did it.

Things you will need:

Specifications for your bike:
2008 DR650se valve clearances: Intake 0.08-0.13mm
Exhaust 0.17-0.22mm

Allen keys (hex) 8mm & 10mm
socket 17mm & rachet
10mm ring spanner
Needle nosed pliers
Feeler gauge
sparkplug spanner
Torque wrench (or you can estimate as you tighten things back up)
Maybe a bike stand !!

Step 1.
With a cold engine, Remove Fuel tank, seat, sidecovers.

Step 2.
wash the engine; pay attention to around the valve cover caps and the sparkplug recess. (Wait until it dries before the next step)

Step 3.

Remove spark plugs and Valve cover caps (do not damage/lose the seal on the inside) clean the seal with a cloth and turn it over and put it back on the valve cover cap.

Check, clean and turn seal over ready for re-use (if damaged, get a new one)

Step 4.
Undo the Flywheel veiw point (8mm allen key) and the Crank cover cap (10mm allen key) WARNING: watch you don't strip out the hex socket for the 10mm allen key. Ensure bike is level or else oil will spill out (if whilst on side stand, oil does spill out, it means your engine oil is over full)
Alternative: if you do strip the hex socket out, don't worry; put the bike on a level stand and engage third gear. (you might need someone to assist in turning the rear wheel)

Step 5.
Insert the 17mm socket in the crank and rotate it slowly in an 'Anti-clockwise' direction, whilst placing your fingers over the sparkplug holes to feel for both the compression and decompression stroke (only adjust/check valve clearances on the compression stroke) (Alternative: Rotate the rearwheel in a forward motion to move the crank)

Step 6.

Line up the "T" in the Flywheel view port (8mm hex) to indicate top dead centre (TDC), however, ensure it is on the compression stroke as it will go around twice (once on the decompression stroke and again on the compression stroke)

Additional Information to checking a DR650 Valve clearances

1. Remember: Intake valves are the ones closest to carburetor; Exhaust valves are closest to exhaust (front of bike)
2. TDC is found on Compression stroke; another way is to open both inlet & Exhaust valve covers and watch the rockers, as your rotate the crank (anti clockwise) watch the exhaust rocker rise with this the intake valves will fall, once the intake rocker start to rise, then look for the TDC "T" in the flywheel veiw port.
you will be able to move the rockers by hand (some play between them and the valves) this means the crank is at the TDC position.

3. 2008 DR650se valve clearances (check your service manual): Intake 0.08-0.13mm
Exhaust 0.17-0.22mm
I set mine at In: 0.08 and Ex: 0.17mm
I found when I set them at the other end of the scale (In 0.13 & Ex 0.22) still within the recommended limit, I could hear the valves tapping quite loud.

Total time to do once tank is off the bike: 20mins

Step 7.

Once the 'T' is lined up, now check the valve clearances.

2008 DR650se valve clearances: Intake 0.08-0.13mm
Exhaust 0.17-0.22mm

Using a feeler gauge check like this picture; remember the intake port is closest to the carburetor. (Note the square top (just above the lock nut) for adjusting the valve clearance.

Step 8.
If it needs adjusting: loosen the 10mm lock nut and wind up the square head adjusting spindle using needle nose pliers (or a special tool if your lucky enough to own one) insert the feeler gauge and wind the spindle down on to it (don't over do it though or you will never get the feeler out), now tighten the lock nut.
Ensure both sides are even.

Step 9.
Put everything back together.
Crank cover cap tightening torque 23Nm
Valve cover cap tightening torque 10Nm

Tools I used.

Note: I am not a mechanic; however this is how I did it.

Last edited by Dobbo on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:22 pm 

Nice one Dobbo :thumb:

2012 KTM 990 R
2004 KTM 950 A....Will be sadly missed!

Wuuuuka wuka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:47 pm 

Haynes has your details and will be calling.

With the adjuster I would try using a 12pt socket on it, also see if a 1/4" drive extension fits. Over time the pliers will prob make a bit of a mess.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:37 pm 

Can't get the correct (5 or 6mm?) spanner in there?

Does the adjuster sit tight in the rocker? Or should it turn very easily? Not that I've got a DR, just interested. My first clearance check was on the Tiger. It's just a little different & I ended up pulling out the cams then dropping the cam chain off the crank, accidentally :oops:

Did you get a new crankcase cap? :imaposer:

I suppose you got the kids to clean up to oil too?

cheers
rayb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:00 pm 

Additional Information to checking a DR650 Valve clearances

1. Remember: Intake valves are the ones closest to carburetor; Exhaust valves are closest to exhaust (front of bike)
2. TDC is found on Compression stroke; another way is to open both inlet & Exhaust valve covers and watch the rockers, as your rotate the crank (anti clockwise) watch the exhaust rocker rise with this the intake valves will fall, once the intake rocker start to rise, then look for the TDC "T" in the flywheel veiw port.
you will be able to move the rockers by hand (some play between them and the valves) this means the crank is at the TDC position.

3. 2008 DR650se valve clearances (check your service manual): Intake 0.08-0.13mm
Exhaust 0.17-0.22mm
I set mine at In: 0.08 and Ex: 0.17mm
I found when I set them at the other end of the scale (In 0.13 & Ex 0.22) still within the recommended limit, I could hear the valves tapping quite loud.

Total time to do once tank is off the bike: 20mins

Just PM if more info required.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]