It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:37 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:14 pm 

I propose a bumpy trip.

Destination: Glow Worm Tunnel.

Route: Sydney - [Bells] - Lithgow - [Glow Worm Tunnel Rd] - Cave

Warning: Road is not suitable for street motorcycles. You might end up with square wheels.

Meet up: McGrath Hills Maccas - Saturday, June 29, 2013 @9:00 AM

Video Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9TFOxWpvZY
WEB: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newnes_glow_worm_tunnel#Access

:warning:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:01 pm 

Great ride to do.

Take the Clarence turn off [Zig Zag Railway] and work your way through via Blackfellows Hand Trail rather than going on in to Lithgow.

Can't make it myself [at this stage], late July would have been more likely for me.

What's with the :warning: bit?

To encourage people to come along it should be :dance: it is a great ride. :thumb:

Have you ever walked through the tunnel rather than riding through?

I've done the ride out to Newnes but didn't do the tunnel.

I heard they had restricted access to the tunnel so it can only be done on foot, I'd guess they think exhaust fumes might kill the Glow Worms [but hell, they survived the coal burning steam trains going through all those years ago :wtf: ]

Love the idea of your truck for loading bikes on too. :mwink:

I will keep an eye on this thread and hopefully I will manage to rearrange my schedule so I can make it.

:popcorn:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:53 pm 

Hi, I've done the tunnel on foot 2 years ago. Now I will get some flash lights because back then needed a guide dog: pitch black inside.

The video is not mine. Was just a preview for ppl who never been there to see the area.

I am a n00b offroad rider. So I will take it easy. Want to do more adv riding and I try to find destinations where you can actually see something. Here: Glow Worms :yo:

Tnx for road suggestion, turn right at Clarence:

http://goo.gl/maps/IbYTj

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:25 pm 

From people I know who have done the tunnel, walk in to about half way then turn your torch off- wait about ten minutes for your eyes to adjust and then enjoy the Glow Worm show.

Somewhere here [or perhaps over on ADV] there is a ride report I've done on the route from Clarence to Newnes.

There are some tough sections going down Blackfellows but with care a newb can do it, make sure you don't go alone though.

I do other rides more locally as well that can give you some practice as well [I'm no expert and just take it easy, but I do have fun :D ].

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:30 pm 

Ockerstrom wrote:
From people I know who have done the tunnel, walk in to about half way then turn your torch off- wait about ten minutes for your eyes to adjust and then enjoy the Glow Worm show.

Somewhere here [or perhaps over on ADV] there is a ride report I've done on the route from Clarence to Newnes.

There are some tough sections going down Blackfellows but with care a newb can do it, make sure you don't go alone though.

I do other rides more locally as well that can give you some practice as well [I'm no expert and just take it easy, but I do have fun :D ].

You are right. Not considering to go there alone.

I've done the ride back in 2010. Was quite nice ride.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:13 am 

That Google map link looks like it goes roughly the right way.

Somewhere along the way we found a section where we all decided it was a no go (although one young bloke on a Ten 660 was keen on it).

We went back to the easier route through.

Sounds like you are a bit more skilled than just a N00b. :mwink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:14 pm 

Ockerstrom wrote:
That Google map link looks like it goes roughly the right way.

Somewhere along the way we found a section where we all decided it was a no go (although one young bloke on a Ten 660 was keen on it).

We went back to the easier route through.

Sounds like you are a bit more skilled than just a N00b. :mwink:

Well, if we see a no-no zone, we will go back through Lithgow. Just more fun :dance:

Hope the weather will be good. If there is mud, we will go via Lithhow.

I could d that GMAPS route only by bicycle. By car, google maps didn't want to route through there. And Garmin Topo Application on computer is a joke

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:03 pm 

You can turn off at Bell and follow Sandham rd beside the Railway line, not the maintenance track but a proper road.
Follow your nose until you get to the coal loading silos (arrow A) and ride to the front gate of the Sand quarry (arrow B) and follow the trail beside the quarry up to the road that starts at the Zig Zag Railway.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=-3 ... sz=17&z=17

2005 KTM 625sxc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:30 pm 

Hi I would like to come, I had that trip plain for this sunday put have not found anyone to do it with. What I would like to know is can i meet you at the car park to zig zag railway please, due to I ride a drz with a stand fuel tank and I only get aabout 130km out of a tank of fuel. If you dont mind me meeting you there can you let me know what time approx you be getting there please. I will cancel my ride this Sunday then.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:01 pm 

prado04 wrote:
Hi I would like to come, I had that trip plain for this sunday put have not found anyone to do it with. What I would like to know is can i meet you at the car park to zig zag railway please, due to I ride a drz with a stand fuel tank and I only get aabout 130km out of a tank of fuel. If you dont mind me meeting you there can you let me know what time approx you be getting there please. I will cancel my ride this Sunday then.

Hi Prado,

If the weather is good, we can schedule next stop at zig zag car park.

I will post my details one day before this ride (phone number) and estimation of meeting time.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next